FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Phono Cartridge Loading For Moving Magnet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 12:54am

A double win then, your fave cap fitted in and the result was what you hoped for, or at least had a reasonable expectation of achieving.

I use a big illuminated magnifier to deal with a lot of circuit work these days myself.

Interestingly, Terratec marketed a phono EQ for computer soundcard input a few years back that included 3 different capacitance settings and 3 gain levels.

Cap levels were 100, 200 & 425pf - did not use it a lot, but IIRC, the 200 loading sounded rather better with an Ortofon OMB 10 that I used with it at that time.

I think there has been some discussion on and experimentation with, various loadings, over at vinylengine for anyone who is interested in reading further.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 7:07pm
If it sounds right, it probably is the right value. But I would also trust a reputable manufacturer to state the electrical loading and arm setup that best suit their cartridge.

As I wrote elsewhere in these forums I have my 2500 at the top end of Goldring's 150-200pF combined load and it does sound very good. But thanks to Graham I now think the type of capacitors is a key big factor in the sound.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
jupiterboy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jupiterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 8:11pm
Hi. First post. Found this thread while searching today. I don't have a Slee product, so please don't throw rocks. I'm also in way over my head, but have enjoyed experimenting with alternative loading for MM carts. I've had some difficulty getting solid specs on my cart, and made some initial errors based on incorrect data.

I'm now running a AT 150MLX happily at 54.7K loading and 117pF capacitance. I have RCA splitters with some Radio Shack resistors soldered in series to get that load, and wonder how much capacitance I've added with the splitters, and also wonder about a final implementation and a better quality resistor than what I now have (5% error).

Anyway, great thread. Thanks for letting me post. Cheers.
jrhughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 12:34pm
The Ortofon 2M bronze has the following specs:

Frequency response20-20.000 + 2 / - 0 dB

Internal inductance630 mH
Recommended load resistance47 kOhm
Recommended load capacitance150-300 pF

if the Reflex M has 220 pF input capacitance and my arm/cable (it's an OEM RB300) has about 100, the I'm on the outside or just over the recommended limit. I must say that it's an education reading all this, even though I don't understand it all, since there's so much more to matching components that I'd thought. Should I be doing something (?) to try to get the total capacitance a bit lower? It certainly doesn't sound spitty, nor dull. Would sounding dull be a sign that total capacitance was too high?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic