FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Revelation: dearth of user reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Revelation: dearth of user reviews
    Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 12:52am
There appears to be a dearth of owner / user reviews for the GSP Revelation Phono preamp in this section.

As I have just ordered a Revelation I will post a review here when I have it in my hands.

I thought that it might also be good idea to link this to other posts such as what I listen to and why, how I came to order the Revelation in the first place (along with a voyager and Novo - kit- ) etc.

The whole raison d'etre of the GSP Forum is for GSP owners to share their experiences and thoughts on Graham Slee products, and members do do that, although it seems to me, so far, to have been limited to a subset of the products that Graham offers.

At the risk of sounding pompous (I don't mean to) I hope that by making links to other posts, in which I explore the journey that brought me here, others will be able to recognise their own HiFi aspirations and values. It is all about the music!

Of course, if you think I should just shut up....
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 2:56am

I am sure you will be helpful.

Perhaps, like in the Bible, after Revelation there is nothing left to say ? Wink

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2009 at 2:12am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2009 at 1:19pm
Graham,

that is definitely an excellent review, and not one I have come across before. I do hope that people reading it realise that the Revelation was being compared to two other products costing over four times the price of the Revelation (when VAT and duty is taken into account), which just goes to show the astonishing value that you build into your products. And, perhaps, the astonishing margins other manufacturers build into theirs?

The other point about that particular review, as with other products, is that the reviewer is pairing with turntables and amps costing a small (large?) fortune. I am sure that there are many people, like myself (and you!) who have rather more modest budgets. They want to know how your products sound with equipment in their price range

However the point of my post was that there is a lack of owner reviews on the Revelation, i.e. from members of this forum, which I believe is what you try to encourage.

Anyway, I will post a review from my POV in due course, and will endeavour to make it equally informative and interesting

Les

I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 5:55pm
Revelation delivered today

It's plugged in on the start of it's burn-in. I am going to give it a few days before I even attempt to listen to it. That will give me time to get familiar with the SOLO SRGII, which is due to land tomorrow

And I've got my Novo. Life just seems to get better

Reviews in due course, don't go away!

Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 6:42pm
I've been using a Revelation M for several months now and it just seems to get better and better. Initial set-up was to power a Rega Planar 3/RB300/Ortofon 530 combination into one of the line level inputs of an Audiolab 8000A. After leaving the Revelation powered up for about a week to burn-in, the difference between it and the Audiolab's built-in phono stage was ... a revelation!

The inevitable surface hiss was reduced and sent well to the background while the soundstage was widened and made more 3-dimentional. It presented detail that I didn't know existed and made the whole vinyl listening experience much more exciting. The effect was so marked that even Mrs Bi-wire, who professes to be tone deaf, noticed the improvement straight away.

Most of the time, the selection switches are set to RIAA but I have experimented with a couple of old DECCA recordings and the bias settings really do have an impact.

The Revelation was the first stage of a major upgrade plan and I have since swapped the Audiolab for a pair of Icon Audio MB90s controlled from a passive pre-amp. I had reservations about using a passive-pre but both Graham, and David Shaw at Icon, put my mind at rest (thanks Graham). My fears were, of course, unfounded and the Revelation feeds those valves beautifully.

Next step is a turntable change, but that'll have to wait a few months.

Bi-wire
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 5:55am

Good to hear Thumbs%20Up

Thank you for sharing with us.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic