FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Novo - first impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hbuus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Novo - first impressions
    Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 6:59pm
Dear forum,

This is my first post here - I'd like to share my first impressions of the GS Novo.

I got it used. Owner said he'd only used it for 10 hours and thus it was not burned in at the time of purchase (still isn't, but after a few days light use and leaving it powered on 24/7 I can already hear a significant positive change in the sound.)

Ok, let me say this straight away: I am wildly impressed by the Novo.

Had I known how much difference a (quality) headamp makes for the sound, I would have gotten one much sooner.

I use it for classical music with some 8½ year old Sennheiser HD600 cans which I (also) love.

Setup-wise I stream audio from my pc to my tv via wifi and then run the sound digitally out into a Nad M51 DAC/preamp hooked up to two Vincent Sp-997 mono poweramps and a pair of Dynaudio Excite x32 loudspeakers.

I've been using an (awful) Behringer HA4700 headamp up to now.

The Novo's overall sound I'll describe this way:

Things sound organic for lack of a better word.

Some random observations I've made (or rather revelations) while listening to various classical (Brahms, Schumann, Schubert, Mozart so far):

Woodwinds sound wonderfully soft.

Double basses extend incredibly low.

Trumpets sound sharp and piercing (I mean that in a good way.)

Horns and trombones sound suitably majestic when needed and soft when needed.

The sound is much more detailled than through my cheap Behringer HA4700.

It has a more layered and 3D sound - probably what people call soundstage and imaging.

Now I can clearly hear as tones rise and fall in volume (with fast, fast speed too) which I couldn't properly before.

The music "flows" incredibly fast with the Novo and everything sounds "right", as in spot on.

With the Novo sounding this good with only a few days power-on time, I am going to feel completely and utterly spoiled as it becomes more burned in!

It is in fact only this afternoon that I have really found time to sit down and listen to the Novo, and now I can't stop – I even chose to miss watching City play against SH in Premier League because of this little amp! (That speaks volumes about how much I enjoy it's sound! :) )

What a steal at full price, and then I only paid half of that.

Incredible.

I have some Sennheiser HD700 coming in next week but now I almost regret ordering them as my trusty old HD600 sound so awesome with the Novo.

On a final note: I've spend the past few days reading reviews on more expensive headphone amps than the Novo as I wasn't impressed by the Novo when I first powered it on and heard it. Now I'm thinking there is zero need for a new head amp. Instead I am looking forward to getting to know this wonderful little gem much, much better.

...but I do admit that after hearing what the Novo is capable of, I am drooling all over the thought of getting a Solo SRGII instead ! :)

Anyway, I just thought you guys would be happy to hear of a new owner that is overwhelmingly satisfied with the Novo.

Thanks for reading this!

Best,

Henrik

Randers, Denmark

PS. Ain't HIFI a great hobby? :)

LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 7:59pm
Welcome to the forum Henrik
                                            Glad you are enjoying the Novo,and if you are drooling over the thought of
an SRG11 dont even think of an  ULDE you will drive yourself crazy.Great review by the way.
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
Hbuus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 3:44pm
Thank you, LOINER.

Well, I am thinking about the ULDE also, of course. I've read that various people prefer the SRGII to the ULDE, so if (when) I'm gonna take the plunge and get one of them, I will take advantage of the loaner program. What a great idea that is.

It's gonna take me a long time to save up to either, though, which in principle would be fine as I am obviously enjoying the Novo immensely (and this even though the amp has not even hit the limit on how good it will become yet through further burning in.)

It just hit me however, that I would most likely be able to afford either model if I sell off my living room stereo except the DAC - that is, sell the Dynaudio speakers and the Vincent poweramps. It's not a crazy idea either, as I really don't use it very much. Thing is, my apartment has quite a bit of traffic outside the windows and what's more, the apartment gets hot quickly because of thick well-isolated walls (it's called isolated, isn't it? Not sure it's the right English word but you probably get the idea). This means I have my windows open most of the time many months of the year; it really is only now, come mid-November, that I am able to turn on my stereo and enjoy the music with closed windows (with open windows there is no chance of enjoying the music because of the noise coming in from the outside) - and even during Winter I don't use the stereo very much. I prefer headphones and have had it that way for almost 10 years.

- But you probably know how it is: If I really do sell the loudspeakers and the poweramps, I will probably miss having them :)

I'll see what I decide, there is no rush.
Anyway, thanks again.

Edited by Hbuus - 29 Nov 2015 at 3:46pm
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Hbuus Hbuus wrote:

Thank you, LOINER.

the apartment gets hot quickly because of thick well-isolated walls (it's called isolated, isn't it? Not sure it's the right English word but you probably get the idea). 
I think the word you want is INSULATED
I would think very carefully before selling your system you just might live to regret it
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
Hbuus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 4:52pm
Ah ok, thank you. It was close :)

Yes absolutely, it will require some thought first.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 8:18pm
Hi Henrik,

Welcome to the forum. It's great you're enjoying your Novo (and HD700s I see from your other post!).

There is an upgrade path you could make from your Novo. Add a PSU1 power supply for an improvement in dynamics and detail. Then use the PSU1 with a Solo SRGII. The option then is to fit a Solo ULDE circuit board into your SRGII case (either yourself, or send it back to Graham). This way you can spread the cost out a bit . . . Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Hbuus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 12:03pm
Hi Bob

Thank you :)
Yes, I've fallen completely for this little amp.
It's amazing that such a tiny little box can sound so good!

Also thanks for the tip about gradually upgrading, I didn't know about the Solo ULDE circuit board option for SRGII. That is a really good idea and considering how much I like the sound of "just" the Novo, I think it's quite possible I will end up going with the upgrade route you outline.

I'm so happy I stumbled upon Graham Slee head amps.
It was a pure coincidence that the Novo showed up in the used head amps section here in Denmark at the same time when I was in the market for a head amp.
Also I didn't really notice the Novo ad at first, or rather, I saw it of course, but never having noticed anyone on head fi etc. mention anything about the brand Graham Slee, I disregarded the Novo at first.
There weren't a whole lot of (good) used head amps for sale though, and then I checked for info and reviews on the GS Novo.
I then saw someone mention that Sennheiser are using GS head amps when showcasing HD650 (or HD600 etc., can't remember exactly what he said).
That got me interested as I have a pair of HD600 which I flat out adore Smile
I'm glad it turned out that way!
I feel the Novo has perfect synergy with my setup (NAD M51 dac -> Novo -> HD600).

Speaking of synergy, I think I may be returning the HD700.
It's too warm in combination with the other elements in my system.
It could be just the lack of burn-in, I'm not sure.
But the NAD M51 is warm, and so is the Novo. Throw in HD700 in the mix and the sound just gets a tad too "hot".
Also I think that given how much I'm enjoying the HD600 in combination with my current gear, a new (and expensive) headphone is not at the top of my priority list.

Btw. I found a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 660 on sale for 1/2 price - got it today and am listening to it for the first time right now.
I need a closed phone for listening to music in the summer where my windows are open out towards the street, and I've read positive things about DT660 for classical music which is what I mainly listen to.
And here's the thing: Straight out of the box and just plugged into the Novo, I actually think the DT660/Novo-combo sounds quite a bit better than the HD700/combo.

HD700 needs an amp that is more neutral and transparent than the Novo, I feel, and I don't have that currently.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic