FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

GyroDec blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 35>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 7:06pm
Today I decided to reconfigure my hi-fi rack so I could use the GyroDec dust cover whilst playing records. I had been taking it off as a habit developed with previous decks that seemed to be slightly colourful/bassy if I had the cover off whilst playing records at any reasonable volume. With the pillars and springs, perhaps I should use the dust cover as intended...

It all went fine until I suddenly noticed that the record's pitch was fluctuating, slowing down with wow-like vibrato. Pretty much the dc motor speed issue I'd read about. After a brief moment of audiophilia nervosa I tried the strobe disk and found the speed was slightly fast if anything. Then it dawned on me that the issue might be easily explained by the top of the Orbe clamp touching the underside of the dust cover. I replaced the LP and refitted the clamp before closing the lid on the motionless record. I tapped down on the dust cover and a moment later the clamp tapped back.

A minor issue easily fixed by lowering the chassis ride height slightly. Doh!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 1:02pm
My gyro has been sounding a bit off for a week or two. Somewhat flat & listless compared to how it usually sounds. Everything seemed to be present & correct but just not an involving listen. As nothing had obviously changed I ignored it for a while, after all there are many other things that can affect how much we enjoy music, so maybe it wasn't the deck at all?

Anyway last night I couldn't stand it any more so I stripped it down and set it up again from the ground up. Levelled the spider subchassis, made a bit more of an effort to balance the main chassis, by adding some more denso-damp to the area behind the front weight & at the motor "ear". New bearing oil, new belt (I had spares) and re-levelled the deck.

This time I levelled it by borrowing a properly calibrated level (very important) that they use in the machine shop at work. This is far more accurate than any bubble level I've tried (I own 2). Fortunately, or rather by design I should say, a tripod is the easiest thing to level. I levelled it first across the front towers & then front to back as close to the centre as I could get it. I did this at every stage of the rebuild (spider/chassis/platter)

While I was at it I swapped the cartridge leads replacing the ones that came with the arm with the ones that came with the cart. Just a whim really and it turned out to be pain in the butt actually as the new leads were not as flexible as the old ones and my near vision ain't too great. I've set the arm & cart up again, though I'm gonna let it all settle down for a couple of days & then tweak it some more.

Pleasingly, the sound seems to have recovered much of it's clarity & sparkle, drawing me into the soundstage again. I detect a slight mid bass bloom that I need to tune out but it's close to how it sounded at it's best. A bit more fettling should do it.

Been at least 6 months since I've done any set up at all on the deck and the SME in particular tends to stay put once you have it set correctly, so I guess like a car it just needed a service & tune up.

Quite a bit of work so far and I'm not quite done yet, but somehow the effort spent makes me appreciate what I have all the more.

Edited by DaveG - 09 Jan 2016 at 1:34pm
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 7:15pm
Interesting was it just vinyl that had 'gone off'?   I have found that cleaning of all plugs and contacts of earth restores what you observed had been missing.   I clean with deoxit & deoxit gold though there are others.

Richard
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 8:18pm
Well I haven't actually listened to anything but vinyl in ages. In all probability the solution was simpler, these things don't just suddenly go massively out of kilter - maybe just check alignment, tracking force, vta etc. However, once I start I kinda get wrapped up in it. Part of the fun for me is getting to know this stuff inside out and how I can tease the best out of it. I can do that with mechanical devices whereas electronics are totally beyond me. I'd also been intending to try a couple of things Jon wrote about in his blog, particularly the chassis balancing part, as our decks are similar. I do use deoxit occasionally, though not this time.
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 8:22pm
My brief point was to trace whether deterioration was just vinyl or everything else - I feed TV through which is often a good guide. Cables and supports are a way of tweaking the electronics but I take you point!

Regards

Richard
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 10:50pm
On further listening and some considerable time messing with vta and alignment I decided that although the rebuild improved things somewhat, it still wasn't quite there, this thing can sound amazing but I refused to be amazed. The slightly wayward bass wouldn't go away and moreover I was now having trouble with the clamp. So off came the platter and bearing again and suddenly the problem was obvious! The male part of the bearing - the spindle bit - screws up from underneath the chassis (surely the top would be a better idea??) and it had worked loose, sitting about 1 - 1.5mm low and a bit wobbly. I've re-tightened it which was a bit awkward without separating the spider & the chassis again, but it's now singing like a lark. I'm tempted to put some threadlock on it to stop it happening in the future, but that definitely requires me to strip it down again. Maybe next weekend if I'm in the mood.
Dave

ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 12:00pm
i had this happen to my Gyrodec, I think it is a known thing. A few years ago when I bought a 2m black from Doug Brady I put in for a service as the bearing was rubbing on the chassis. It turns out that the bearing had come loose. The guy that did my gyro ( cant remember his name) applied some thread lock to fix it , he thought it should really done as standard.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 35>
  Share Topic