FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 10:53pm
Welcome Mark!

If natural sound is what you want, you've come to the right place. I say don't do the home loan though; cut out the middle-man and just buy it now!
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 8:11am
Originally posted by maddog maddog wrote:

So much so I'm now converting my music collection from mp3 to AIFF to get the best from my amp.

Hi Mark, Welcome! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.
I'm curious as to why you are re-ripping all your CDs, I assume that's what you're doing, to full fat AIFF rather to one of the lossless formats such as FLAC or ALAC.

Edited by ICL1P - 08 Jul 2015 at 8:12am
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 9:05am
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

So much so I'm now converting my music collection from mp3 to AIFF to get the best from my amp.

Hi Mark, Welcome! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.
I'm curious as to why you are re-ripping all your CDs, I assume that's what you're doing, to full fat AIFF rather to one of the lossless formats such as FLAC or ALAC.

Hi from me too.

The way Mark's comment reads he's intending to convert his MP3s to AIFF, not rerip his CD collection to AIFF.
Converting the MP3s is a waste of time - they're data deficient to start with, and converting them to AIFF will just create a load of data deficient AIFF files.
Reripping the CDs is the only way to go, and it's best from a sound quality perspective to perform secure rips.

Because AIFFs are mentioned I reckon that Mark is using a Mac computer of some sort.
In the same boat I'd be ripping to ALAC, and I'd be using a ripping tool capable of performing secure rips.
XLD is one such tool.

ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 9:38am
Chris, I was concerned for the same reason as you and like you I use XLD to rip to ALAC.
Ifor
=====
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 9:57am
I'm another XLD user, but I rip to FLAC as playing the files on Apple devices isn't a high priority for me (though of course there are Apps and programmes that do allow FLAC playback).
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
maddog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 11:24am
re ripping cd's and I use iTunes and an iPod which doesn't support FLAC, only AIFF
Music source - 120gb iPod Classic, Amp - GS Voyager, IEM's - Etymotic MC5, RHA M750i, Headphones - Grado SR80e, Sennheiser HD600
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 11:28am

re ripping cd's and I use iTunes and an iPod which doesn't support FLAC, only AIFF
Check you iTunes Preferences.  It'll allow ripping to Apple Lossless aka ALAC.  This'll save you a lot of space relative to AIFF.
Ifor
=====
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic