FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

We're News at HiFi Pig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 9:56pm
Hi, looking at the 'case', this is down to the individual eye (and ears).  I totally agree a large box with small contents (1970's Japanese style) was often NOT very appealing all knobs so to speak.  I like the small functional boxes of the Era Gold, Elevator, Reflex etc, as a phono device though there are other similar simple designs I would not really like sat on my rack (Cyrus, old Meridian gear from the 70s/80s or for that matter a lot of the certainly older Naim stuff).  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there are some designs I do like such as:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1356/1314104308_ccdd4947e8_b.jpg with the lid ( and baby on) or http://www.niji.or.jp/home/k-nisi/m-6000-in.jpg with its kit off, sorry Graham don't think it would fit in your standard box!!!  Some may consider brash, and I could not accomodate the size but to me this is good looking (the amp not the baby!).

I do like my gear to look good and my Revelation and Elevator do that.   Beauty may be skin deep and having a beautiful wife may not make her any good at many wifely duties or George Clooney may be useless at putting shelves up, but it helps!!

Richard
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 10:44pm
I was about to mention Cyrus... I can never work out if their designers have no taste or no imagination; they're hideous! GSP kit looks much more stylish but, as has already been said, never as an excuse to distract us from what is going on inside.

The Majestic review from HiFi Pig mentioned/requested different case finishes which would be interesting but I generally like how it comes.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 1:39am
Originally posted by miT miT wrote:

I was about to mention Cyrus...

Yeah to me they look dated, with no hint of ever becoming sort of cool retro like some of that old Japanese stuff (I always fancied an Accuphase CD player in champagne with rosewood cheeks Tongue). Each to their own I suppose.

I must admit I do enjoy build quality & engineering for it's own sake. Nice things are, well, nice! Much like a watch with a mechanical movement is more desirable than a  20 quid Swatch, but probably no where near as accurate, so it is with some of these hi end hifi products. Build quality is no guarantee of sound quality. I mean I have heard a half million pound system and it sounded and looked impressive, but all a bit unnecessary.

Fortunately, with a turntables being machines for playing music the two do things often go hand in hand. With boxes of electronics (except CD players maybe?) that's not necessarily the case. I suppose once you have ensured it won't fall apart, it's properly shielded & maybe vibration damped somewhat, the rest is down to the electronics engineering & component quality inside, and you don't get to see many pics of circuit boards on the covers of the hifi press.

Though I've never seen one in the flesh the Majestic looks to have a good balance. The thicker bevelled faceplate, with the sculpting around the switches adds a touch of class. Being picky I'd like to see flush screws a la Reflex etc. I like the silver faceplates but in general I'd like the rest to be black. Just personal preference. Anyway I'm pretty certain all the new stuff will be hot pink! Wink
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 8:52am
Alas hot pink is not an option (boo!) - not in the range of anodising colours. Black is (hooray!) - but black shows handling marks (boo!).

Demo at metal finishers: the boss man David ran his finger nail across a neatly black anodised extrusion. Oh dear, what a scratch! He went on to explain that it wasn't a scratch - it was in fact finger nail material stuff stuck hard to the anodic coating.

Assistant Kath polished the extrusion with a fine-grit abrasive block - finger nail mark gone! The problem as David explained, was the number of times such marks can be polished out before the base metal shows through.

Also (and obviously), if it takes a hard knock which chips the aluminium, the base metal is going to show through.

Neither of the above look obvious on silver anodised cases.

But I hear you all loud and clear. Black is wanted! You shall have the choice! (eventually)

Now, what about other colours you'd like to see?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 9:00am
Yes I agree, anyone witha black car will apreciate your comments Graham!!

Richard
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 9:21am
Avoid "piano black", please! It might look good but shows every finger-mark going and is a dust magnet.

How about bronze?

TBH I'm perfectly happy with silver as now, but maybe the new phono amp and all-in-one, if it's possible should, along with the Majestic and Proprius, form part of a "super" range (I was going to used the cliché  term "Reference") of high end performers with a brand colour of their own.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 9:31am
Bronze would be good, or that 'champagne' finish Marantz used to use.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic