FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

what's missing from this pic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:17pm
Glad to hear you have something sorted Dave Smile

Rather than consign the Axia to the bin, how about a call to The Cartridge Man Len Gregory? 0208 688 6565

I phoned him a couple of years ago about a possible re-tip and he said he no longer does that but gave me a UK contact to call. I didn't follow it up and I have lost the number but it may be worthwhile if you ever want to use the Axia again
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 6:51pm
Yeah may be worth doing Andrew. Actually the place where I've just got the Cadenza from know LG & also a guy that can maybe repair the Axia - probably the same chap!

Had an interesting & long chat with the owner of the store, who I thought were just box shifters - I couldn't have been more wrong. The guy is a vinyl nut & seems very knowledgeable. When I told him what happened to the Axia he was of the opinion it just fell apart, claiming it is not an unknown phenomenom. Notoriously fragile. He reckoned the same applied to some of the other more "boutique" brands. He even told about some Swiss cartridge, didn't name it, just said that it was blue & has a light on it. Costs in the region of £5-7k. A customer brought it in for a retip & when  they opened it up, inside the fancy stainless steel body was a DL103 Shocked.

He was refreshingly scathing about the worst excesses of the hifi industry, even though he's a part of it, fancy cables in particular. An interesting hour anyway.

Oh.. and I've just popped the Cadenza in and my jaw hit the floor. Straight out of the box this thing sounds right on the money.
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:20am
breaking a mans cartridge should carry a prison sentence lol
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 11:09am

...hardly does your experience justice Dave.

I hope my second hand Transfiguration Phoenix is past falling apart. And as importantly I wish happy listening with the Candenza and a cost effective fix for the Axia - have you found the cantilever/stylus?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 9:44pm
Yes I had the same experience, found the cantelever sat on the top of the deck next to the platter and of course nobody had been near it!

Still some good things come out of misfortune. Had I not needed a new cartridge I would have not have listened to the Era Gold and Elevator on the way to my Dynavector!!
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 7:18am
The Axia is still sitting in a box as a rebuild would have cost something like £700. They did say that they would be able to tell if if it was damaged by me or if it just failed and if it were the latter then it would be replaced under warranty. I should have sent it off to be checked, but I didn't.

The Cadenza Bronze cost me just over a grand as I got a nice trade in on my old Kontrapunkt B and I'm very happy with it, it's every bit as good as the reviews say it is. From memory I'd say that the Cadenza sounds a lot more big & solid than the Axia, which seemed to have a more delicate nature. Both very good at all the hi-fi stuff like detail retrieval, soundstaging etc, but with a somewhat different presentation.

Compared to the Axia, which was a kind of Jekyll & Hyde for a while, the Cadenza changed little over the burn in period, it was clear how it would sound from day one, and just became a slightly sweeter, more open sounding version of itself. This is something I also find with GSP products, from new the sound doesn't really change character, you get it straight away, it just seems to improve a bit as it settles in. Makes auditioning an easier prospect.
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 4:53pm
Do you have a magnifying loupe or USB microscope Dave? That may clarify the physical nature of the detachment, i.e. whether it was torn out* or simply fell out due to adhesive failure or another manufacturing fault.

*which I doubt as the cantilever on my Phoenix is very short and hidden close of the underside of the cartridge body so pretty much safe from snagging on clothing.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic