FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Newbie review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie review
    Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 11:49pm
Hi all,

I am a recent owner of the Revelation C, PSU power cable and now the Lataus RCA interconnect cable.

I am using the Revelation as the phono pre-amp for my turntable setup. It includes the P******t Extension Classic turntable with the 12in EVO tonearm. I am currently using a couple of cartridges - the Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation, Ortofon Credenza Mono and Lyra Kleos. 

The Graham Slee Revelation C replaced my P******t Phono Tube Amp. I have also recently upgraded the tonearm cable to Audioquest Cougar...which will soon be replaced with yet another better shielded cable. My current setup is setup for recording the vinyl analog into DSD 5.6 mhz format for archival purpose.

I have additional setup of turntables for different purposes, and a additional rig for listening. But for the purpose of this review, I would like to only cover the analog sound digitizing effort.

The introduction of the Revelation product has changed the sound I am listening drastically. Most of the music I hear has acoustic instruments and vocals. The pre amp now delivers a more crisp and revealing sound. The percussion instruments have become more pronounced and can not only be heard but also positioned. 

I have the issue of electronic interference sound which I can hear on my headphones - especially on higher volume. It took me quite a few trial and error steps before I was able to isolate the noise. It was from the DSD recorder - which is able to pick up external noise. Suffice to say that problem has now been resolved with proper shielding. Also the sound does not exist in the recordings - which is a good sign.

Back to the Revelation box...my initial reason for purchasing this box was for the variable sound equalization options it offered. However, so far I had the best results with only one setting. But that might be indicative of the vinyl type, company, year of publication and adherence to the RIAA curve. I am still liking the option since I have over 5000 vinyls - I am sure there are some interesting publication in that lot.

As for the sound, when compared to the P******t Tube box, the obvious sound difference is the clarity and depth of reproduction heard over the Graham Slee. However I am yet to get used to the stark sound reproductions. Somehow I feel I am missing the 'warmth' of the tube based pre-amp. But then again it just may be the 'warmth' of my perceptions or memories of the tubes warming my basement music room Smile

Also with the Graham Slee setup, I am also hearing and listening to more than before, which also includes recording issues if any, lead sound bleeding in and other such quirks. It truly exposes and playbacks the sound from the cartridge transparently. This also means now I have the excitement of listening to my collection in a new manner. 

My next steps include upgrading the tonearm cable and fix any shielding issues that remain.

The next phase of my quest is to update my listening setup. And that is where the Graham Slee Mono blocks come into the picture. I have enrolled into the US loaner program and looking forward to some listening experiments and adventures in the near future.

Cheers
Shashi 
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 7:51am
Welcome to the forum, Shashi!

Thank you for a detailed post about your system. You're definitely not alone in finding the addition of a GSP product makes you hear your music in a different and exciting way!

Please keep us posted on your continuing experiences with Graham's little silver boxes.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 5:38pm
Well stated, Shashi!
 I am not surprised that you find the Revelation C, PSU1 power supply and the Lataus RCA cable a transparent improvement to your sound.
 I have found music lovers believe that a sound reproduction system needs to be designed to reproduce the the music played through it in a faithful-to-the-original manner, without coloration or enhancement. We like to hear the voices and instruments with their natural sound.
Many sound systems I hear today make it hard to hear the voices in particular. I want to hear the lyrics, not just know the voices are there... some systems don't even reproduce the voices at all!

I have started on my quest to improve my sound reproduction system over 40 years ago (many a year waiting for the money to invest). I am finally getting close with using Graham Slee's little silver boxes.Thumbs Up
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 3:35am
Quick update on my experiments with the Reflex/Elevator setup:

It had been almost a month with the Miyajima Zero cartridge - suffice to say the cartridge is at its best.  It has settled down fantastic with the Reflex/Elevator. For the past few days I have also setup the Proprius mono block amps. 

Listening to music over speakers versus a good pair of headphones are worlds apart - the mono blocks seem perfectly matched with the Reflex. The clarity simply flows thru.

For these experiments I am using vinyl records that a Good to maybe V Good in condition - most of them at least 30 years old. Of course I do not want to wear out the good stuff. And I can happily report that the condition of the vinyl hardly matters. From the Zero thru the Elevator, Reflex, Proprius to the speakers - most of the inherent clicks, pops and crackle/hiss are not there. 

As I have stated earlier, what one hears is all instruments with astonishing clarity. And now over the speakers, the opinion about Mono recording sounding as good if not better than Stereo - now sounds true. Thanks to the clarity of the instruments, one can place the instruments with ease, their relative distance/volume is easier to discern. So very much like a live performance without any of the distracting stereo artifacts - like the pan effect, different instruments playing on their own on each speaker. Here...one has the advantage of listening to recording as a complete performance. 

And just for a lark, I invited my kids for a listen. And had them compare the sound between the Revelation and the Reflex. The Reflex/Elevator won hands down....just because of the Zero and the mono recordings. The loudness helps not only to enhance clarity but also provide a better soundstage. With mono and the conical/elliptical needle, there is not much worry about dragging out additional noise from the vinyl.

I am a bit skeptic about the Reflex walking over the Revelation that easy once I setup the stereo route - with the Sumiko Presentation. In my previous experiments the Revelation has performed brilliantly to the strengths of the Presentation - wider soundstage, more natural sound, the instruments move out and away from behind the singer. But we shall see. In the coming days, I will be switching to the stereo route. 

One little diversion. Found a little product called the Flux HiFi Sonic stylus cleaner. It uses ultrasonic vibrations to clean the stylus. I have tried this on the Miyajima - it cleans extremely well...stylus is shiny clean. I use it with the Last stylus cleaner. This better then cleaning by brush. But I will have to keep an eye on that...do not want my stylus to be bent and wobbly.

Cheers
Shashi
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 4:12am

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun Shashi.  Thanks for sharing it.

Since you already use a Last product, I can recommend the Stylus Preservative and the record preservative also.

After a good clean and a few plays, apply the preservative to your records and be prepared for a pleasant surprise.  The claimed increased resistance to wear is only part of the benefits.

Tony G
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 4:36am
I have used the groove glide once on all the vinyls. Unfortunately they are quite expensive and I do not use after each play. I use that only when I am ready to archive. 

Was there any specific vinyl preservation you had in mind?

Thanks
Shashi
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 4:54am

It is the Last record preservative that I use.  

Not sure how it would go in combination with groove glide though. 

Might be best to contact Last and enquire before combining the two.

The Last preservative is a once only treatment claimed to bond with and harden the vinyl surface reducing wear for a claimed 200 plays after application.

To my hearing the improvement in sound quality is as one might expect from the stylus riding against a less yielding surface - fuller and more complete with better definition.

Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic