FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bitzie, Majestic, Solo, headphones, and sources

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 16>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Haha, I thought your D7000 completely decimates both your HD650 and LCD-2, which is somewhat counter-intuitive.

I guess we have very different expectations.
For me, the D7000 is "hi-fi", the LCD-2s "natural" (whatever that means ).
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
habitullence View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote habitullence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

THD is 8 times better... would that count? Cool
My depth of knowledge in this area limits my response. The obvious question is, can the human ear tell the difference? *wallet starting to sob gently in the background*

If it can, I guess I'll start planning a trip down Majestic lane Big smile

Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Headphones are a very personal item. I love my LCD-2s Tongue . . . .

I agree. My problem is I have a pretty good ear I think but I don't know anything technically. I think what I'm looking for is great performance and quite neutral as a starting point.

Currently I'm looking for some portable headphones to go with my Bitzie - Audio Technica ATH-ES7 aren't up to the task.

Initially I looked at HD25 but they're not that portable. Does anyone have any other recommendations for portable on-ear?

My next step was to go to in-ear. I already have some Ety HF3 that I use when walking around, I'm looking for something for listening sessions at a desk. 

I tried some Shure 535 and wasn't very impressed - compared to my larger cans they sounded quite lacking in the lower end, piercing in the upper, and overall quite narrow in their soundstage (hope I'm using the right terminology).

If you want something still in production that you can buy new, and you don't mind in-ear monitors then I recommend the exquisitely neutral Etymotic ER-4S.

There are the higher end Ety ER4 Ash mentioned but I'm worried these might also be a bit light on the lower end.

It seems like there's more choice in the States. Unless you pay for import, would I be right in saying the best choices here are Ety, Senn, and Shure?

Has anyone heard the Shure 836? Wondering if these might be better in lower end. 

I hear the IE800 are good but have some isolation problems.

With the majestic I was thinking about the Audeze LCD-X but, again, you seem to pay a premium for these in the UK compared to the Senns. Ultimately I'd like to audition these against some HD800 with the Majestic but can't really see this happening. Bob kindly offered to let me listen to his Majestic, problem is the headphones. 

If second-hand doesn't bother you, the HD250, HD540 and HD560 Sennheiser models all typically demonstrate excellent value for money,

Or as a last resort, I would suggest the HD600 (not the HD650). Again, buy a used one in good condition. All the Sennheisers have a modular construction so you can restore them with new parts or earpads if necessary.

It might be I end up with some Senns until my next trip to the States. So that begs the question HD800/700/600/something? Second hand, if possible, as Ash suggested. Maybe the Denons... ARGH! So many possibilities Confused

Really appreciate all the input from everyone Smile

Edited by habitullence - 24 Aug 2014 at 2:45pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 3:17pm
I shall be reassembling some HD540IIs for sale within the next few days.

I will also be willing to part with my like-new HD800 for £850 as soon as I've made my comparison video for Youtube.

HD560II will also be sold after the video.

ER-4S is a little light in bass quantity but extension is excellent.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 3:55pm

Hardly cheap but the Beyer T5p have getting some good press and could be worth a listen.

Tony G
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote habitullence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 10:53am
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Hardly cheap but the Beyer T5p have getting some good press and could be worth a listen.

Those look really nice, I'll do some digging.

Currently thinking is IEMs just don't sound as good as bigger cans and you get less bang/buck. Senn HD26 might be worth a look, not that portable but maybe more portable than HD380.

Full size, HD600 while I wait for Ash to make me some 540II Wink

Do most people pair the Majestic with a Solo?

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 2:41pm
Hello, if you wish to buy a HD540II from me, I will get one reassembled shortly. It is very lightweight although its open-back design may make it less convenient for portable use.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote habitullence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 12:30pm

Hello, if you wish to buy a HD540II from me, I will get one reassembled shortly. It is very lightweight although its open-back design may make it less convenient for portable use.
Thanks Ash, certainly would be very interested Big smile I'd use these for my home setup, will put the HD600 on hold.

I'm doing a quick comparison today between the Ety HF3, I already own, to the Shure 535. I was looking at the new HD26 Pro for my portable setup but don't think they'll be portable enough - they don't fold flat and cups are very deep so probably wouldn't make a difference anyway.

From what I remember, the lower end Ety already sound better than the Shure anyway, might push me towards the ER4S.

Another contender is the Westone 4R, has anyone tried those?

I'm going to call Jon later to talk about Majestic options if anyone has any advice on that.

Edited by habitullence - 26 Aug 2014 at 12:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 16>
  Share Topic