FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Majestic DAC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Has anyone connected a Samsung Galaxy S3 to Majestic via USB? I assume it would work due to same chipset?
I will try tomorrow and let you know Ash
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 12:38am
So Fritz, if I want to buy the MacBook Pro - the one that puts out 192 kHz optical (since September 2013), which socket is used? And what cable do I need?

And Ash and Andrew, the only difference on the USB input is that it doesn't make use of the bus power, only the signal wires are connected inside the Majestic, otherwise the USB input stage is identical to the Bitzie. Instead of the digital (TTL) output being interfaced to the optical driver and the transformer coupled coax out, it goes (via the front panel switch) straight to the Wolfson transceiver where the clock is cleaned up (reclocked) and turned into I2S which is sent to the Wolfson DAC chip.

Therefore it should work with the Samsung S3. Maybe we should fit a felt mat on top of the Majestic to sit the S3 on? Obviously we cannot use a "dock" as the word is owned by Apple...

I wonder how much in royalties shipyards have to pay? Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 2:08am
According to http://www.jensign.com/SPDIFLink/index.html I got my calculations wrong - in fact way out. Embarrassed

It helps to have the facts first and here they are courtessy the above site: "The S/PDIF digital audio interconnect format is described by a sampling rate of the 64-bit audio data frames. Each 64 bit frame contains a single audio sample for both the left and right channels along with various status bits. Therefore for the sampling rates of 48kHz and 96 kHz discussed here, the information bit rates are 3.072 and 6.144 Mbit/sec respectively."

Therefore 192 kHz will require a data transfer rate of 12.2288 Mbps.

The limiting factor is the fibre-optic ("Toslink") receiver. The Majestic uses a 15.5Mbps receiver which is around 25% more than required.

So, it still looks feasible that the 192 kHz sampling rate from the MacBook Pro will interface with the Majestic DAC via optical cable AND be processed at 192 kHz through the DAC.

Producing a test jig to prove it by measurement may not be all that simple. The regular way of converting coax level to the TTL level required to drive a Toslink type IR transmitter is to make use of an hex inverter logic IC. This would have to operate at more than 12MHz requiring careful selection of logic family, but prototyping on veroboard would introduce stray capacitance and possibly slow it to below the desired pulse rate.

It could be possibly cheaper to buy a coax to optical converter, which exist, but may not be capable of reaching 192 kHz.

Why AP didn't foresee the rise of 192 kHz optical transmission is a question for AP, and I will ask.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 4:22am
Is the avoiding-volume-control issue as simple as using the fixed level RCA outs?
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Has anyone connected a Samsung Galaxy S3 to Majestic via USB? I assume it would work due to same chipset?
I will try tomorrow and let you know Ash
I have tried this & it works just as you expected Ash
Andrew
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

if I want to buy the MacBook Pro - the one that puts out 192 kHz optical (since September 2013), which socket is used? And what cable do I need?
The Macbook Pro outputs optical via the headphone socket using a mini-toslink to optical cable....

Andrew
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 9:03am
Thank you for checking that for me Andrew.

No docks please! LOL

I can't stand those proprietary things...

So because of the regulated power supply, even Majestic USB should be a lift over Bitzie USB. Many thanks.

Edited by Ash - 23 Jul 2014 at 9:05am
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic