FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Ortofon 2M Black Ordered...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>
Author
bakastra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakastra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 3:35am
Also, does anybody have the experience with Ortofon's 78 stylus? I like the idea to use the same cartridge for both 33 and 78, but I am surprised by their tracking force range, 1.6-2g. I thought it was way too low for 78 rpm records.

Edited by bakastra - 19 Dec 2014 at 3:37am
Andrew
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 6:00am

The tracking force will depend on the cartridge compliance, suitability for 78 replay will require a larger stylus tip radius to suit the wider groove.

I do not see a problem with what you describe. (nor presumably, do Ortofon Wink )

That said, I personally would not, from choice, use a cartridge having a stereo generator for mono replay.  

At least not if optimal SQ were the goal rather than occasional use and convenience.

Tony G
bakastra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakastra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 6:33am
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

That said, I personally would not, from choice, use a cartridge having a stereo generator for mono replay.  

At least not if optimal SQ were the goal rather than occasional use and convenience.

Tony, thank you! I understand, but I have no skills yet to be changing and adjusting cartridges, so I decided to start with 'one cartridge fits all'.
Andrew
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 6:57am
Buy a cheap cartridge to practice a change on.
It's not difficult to change and set up, but it is time consuming to do it properly.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
bakastra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakastra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 7:08am
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

Buy a cheap cartridge to practice a change on.

Thank you, that's precisely what I have done!

Andrew
bakastra View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakastra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 7:24am
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

It's not difficult to change and set up, but it is time consuming to do it properly.

Seriously, I stumbled upon the customer review (actually, of 2M Black) which mentioned the cartridge mounting; see the only negative review of 2M Black here.

Here is a quote from there: At this point, I am usually blamed for not having it set up correctly. Let's see...duplicate alignment gauges used to set overhang and initial alignment--check. USB microscope to set stylus rake angle at 92 degrees--check. USB microscope to fix the azimuth being a degree or two off due to the cantilever being rotated in its mount, and the diamond not at a perfect 90 degree angle to the vinyl--check. Oscilloscope used to fine tune zenith alignment due to sloppy mounting of diamond within cantilever (where it was not perfectly square with the cantilever)--check. Vertical tracking force measured with digital scale--check, and even tried at different points to see if it helped. Antiskating checked via oscilloscope--check. Good match to the Pro-Ject tonearm--check.

Naturally, after that I went with the option to have the cartridge installed in a store hoping that I'd pick up skills later.
Andrew
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 9:16am

Yes, that whole ritual is somewhat daunting.

Take it within context of his negative opinion of the cartridge and as an indication that he wishes to establish that he has given it every opportunity.

Few, if any, members here will go to such lengths in setup, particularly the use of the microscope and the oscilloscope.

A good alignment protractor and digital scales, combined with some careful listening and minor adjustment dependent on the audible effects, will be more the norm I think.

With a good phono stage, you will be surprised at how you will hear the effect of minor changes to the various setup parameters.

As long as you do not break off the cantilever then there is no pass or fail to this and you can learn as you go along once you understand the fundamentals.

Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>
  Share Topic