FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

I show mine, you show me yours...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 63>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 10:11pm
I've borrowed a reduced pair of speakers from Hifisound, B stock due to appearance of lacquer but sounding pretty good so far. If things go well I may have another "show me" picture to post.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 6:31am
Wow.. coincidence or what. These are the very same people I bought my TT from. The Gyro was a known quantity to me so I didn't feel I had to demo.

They were so nice and helpful on the phone that I bought it from them even tho they were a little dearer than the cheapest. Plus they managed to get me the deck in 4 weeks.. at a time when Michell were apparently quoting 10-12 week build times.

Shame they are 270 miles away from me or I'd pop in.
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 5:14pm
And a further coincidence ...

I read the above two posts over breakfast and then set off for my first appointment of the drug peddling day. This particular customer and I usually talk a bit about HiFi before we get into the nitty gritty of the job. We were talking about record collections and Phil's in particular, of which I've had a few, and out of the blue Mark mentions your guy up in Stockton and the vinyl that he has. Also mentioned was the photographs of cows that are apparently many; a good ice breaker for a ruminant vet as he launched in to trying to do a deal on a new turntable.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 5:43pm
Yes, Simon has got walls of vinyl and the biggest turntable collection I've ever seen. He knows hi-fi back to front, loves his music, and is incredibly helpful*. Hifisound and the Sound It Out record store are my main reasons for going to Stockton-on-Tees.

*Like the owner of this forum, just in case someone says it before me!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 7:19pm
How are your "lacquered" speakers going, Jon . . . The suspense is killing us. Big smile
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 8:15pm
They are GX300's, the big 3 way 'daddy' of Monitor Audio's Gold GX series. As you'll already know I have had a pair of the larger stand mount GX100's and a GX150 centre. I liked the ribbon tweeter when I first heard it and price-compromised on the GX100's, which I enjoyed.

The 'lacquered' speakers are piano ebony finish which looks great despite some patches with grey visible in sunlight. I had found most of the review and test reports for GX speakers (and the press releases on the replacement Gold series) whilst dithering over whether to try/buy these GX300's, so it was the question of whether they were a real step or two up on the GX100's. I hoped to get a bigger version of the detailed and dynamic sound I like with the GX100's, which will take some more listening to check.

The GX300's were brand new so a little hard to start with so I put them face to face, out of phase, surrounded by acoustic panels and ran a burn-in track whilst I was out. That helped to mellow the sound and bring more detail out. Early days yet but I've found the midrange as revealing as the treble was with the GX100's. It is a step up although a fair bit of cash so worth an extended audition, at the moment they are probably keepers - I'll let you know what I decide.
Jon

JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 10:15pm
Deciding to upgrade from some stand mount Mission speakers from the early 90's I visited a hi-fi shop in Sheffield about five years ago and had a listen to one or two floor standing and stand mount speakers played through a fairly expensive electronics setup. For the money/my budget they didn't impress (may be the electronics were partly to blame?) so I bit the bullet and decided to do something I'd wanted to do for years - I built my own, from a kit comprising of the drivers and the crossover components. I haven't done a 'like for like' comparison with any other similar speakers (perhaps not a good idea!?!?) but they do seem to show up any deficiencies elsewhere in the system and they won't be going any time soon!

Edited by JamesD - 27 Mar 2015 at 10:17pm
Aren't ears brilliant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 63>
  Share Topic