FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New members corner to say hello

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 72>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 11:02am
Hi Iain
From your laptop I recommend the Graham Slee Bitzie DAC which is available with a USB cable. Playing music via Foobar2000 (Windows) or JRiver Media Center (Windows/MAC) software=>Bitzie=>Solo will give you superb quality. The Bitzie also works as a DAC with some Android smartphones or tablets and there are other good laptop software players too
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Haffster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haffster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 4:04pm

Hi all,

Newbie from Canada here.

Recent convert to vinyl – have been enjoying it tremendously so far – the bug is gnawing inside, so decided to try out one of the Graham Slee preamps. Still undecided as to which one, but between GA SE2 and Era Gold, leaning towards Era Gold V. Will look into the PSU1 subsequently.

My current system is:

·         Wadia iTransport + Cambridge Audio MagicDac

·         Rotel 1098 CD player

·         Marantz TT-15 turntable (Clearaudio Virtuoso wood cartridge)

·         Magnum Dynalab MD90 FM reciver

·         Counterpoint SA5000 preamp

·         Bryston 3BST power amp

·         Martin Logan ESL electrostatic speakers

The bug started hitting when a friend advised that although my counterpoint has a great phono stage, life has changed considerably since the 90s and the newer (and he specifically recommended Graham Slee) ones will be considerably different. So here I am!

Will continue to research (and welcome any insights) until late May when I will be in London and pick one of the two (remarkably, it is a lot cheaper even with the heavily “processing fee’d” VAT refund than in North America – and since I’ll be in London anyway, why not).

morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 4:38pm
Welcome to the forum Ahmed! Good to hear you're going to be joining the GSP owners club. You say you'll be in London late May - Graham's Road Show is on May 29th in Aylesbury (not more than an hour by train from London I should think). This'd be a great chance not only to listen to GSP equipment, but talk to Graham and meet like-minded music lovers - if you have the free time, of course . . . . Wink

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 9:01pm
Thanks for joining us Haffster and for sharing your anticipation of May's GSP phono stage. I'd recommend the Era V's successor, the Reflex M. It lets my music shine, honestly amplifying what my turntable, arm, and cartridge give it.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Haffster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haffster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 12:04am
Thanks - would love nothing better than to get the Reflex - but I'll be stretching my affordibility a bit, unfortunately. So for now, I think I'll just go with the Era Gold V and take it from there (I won't even be adding the PSU1 right away - will likely do that in another 6 months or so).
Cyclops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 4:01pm
Dear Graham,

Hello!

I had a lovely chat with John Cadman today explaining how difficult it has been to source and trial a Gram Amp 2 Communicator in London. I telephoned both Walrus and Orange & Lemons from the dealers list advertised on the Graham Slee website and unfortunately neither retailer had one in stock, although they were both very complimentary about the Communicator describing it as a top notch turntable phono preamp. 

I think the special free home trial is an amazing idea and brilliant concept. I was impelled by events to take up membership of the Owner's Club today and tee off with Fatmangolf by emailing a request for a loan. I feel confident I will be suitably impressed from the research/ reviews I have read online about the Gram Amp 2 Communicator and do expect to be a proud owner of one imminently, but I would prefer to listen and/ or trial the product before finally committing myself (even though I fully understand if purchasing one I have 7 days after receipt to cancel and return - even after using the Communicator). 

It's to partner a newly acquired Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable, after 30 odd years (or so) without being able to listen to my vinyl collection. Unbeknown to me (and rather stupidly I should have checked) current Nad amp, despite being owned for eons, does not have a phono input on - help! 

On a personal note, John was fantastic with his time today. His expert knowledge, help and advice with both the product queries I had and the prompt response with my application/ membership of the Owner's Club. I struggle to remember the last time I received such one-to-one attention and someone going the extra mile - thank you for restoring my faith in impressive Customer Service in the UK!

Kind regards,
Cyclops

'Would-be' Owner
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 8:44pm
Welcome to the forum, Claire.

It's good you've found this friendly corner of hi-fi .

The lack of phono stage on your amp has done you a favour as Graham's kit sounds a great deal better than most built in phone stages! Let us know how you get on with the Communicator ...
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 72>
  Share Topic