FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 154155156157158 398>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

So the prog-nosis is good for you. Anyone else for "American Idiot" - a fine piece of (very) post-punk power pop?
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 1:29am
IcL1p,thanks for the blue PT

Edited by Dave Friday - 18 Nov 2014 at 5:18pm
lp12,oc9mk3,ca610p,krimson40watt pa,kef105.4
Stewboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

IMO the best Porcupine Tree albums are In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet but these may not be ideal for a newcomer (containing some very heavy but still melodic material). I would start with Stars Die, an early years Best Of which contains a studio version of my favourite PT song: Radioactive Toy and a good mix of styles. The tracks Stars Die and Lazarus (on Deadwing) show the more mellow side of PT and there are also some excellent and very melodic earlier Blackfield albums. Their Live in NYC CD/DVD package is superb and very listenable - not proggy like PT/SW

PT albums take up three whole sections of my CD rack and I have quite a few SW/PT/Storm Corrosion vinyls too. At last count, nearly 30 albums. Some of the mid-late 90's and early 2000's live tours had performances that I rate as the best I have ever seen from any band at any time

I've found that my son has Lightbulb Sun in his iTunes library, so I'll start with that.

This is one of my fave PT albums. Love the harmonies on 'How is Your Life Today' and the Heaven's Gate inspired 'Last chance to evacuate planet earth'. 'Shesmovedon' is another highlight.

Edited by Stewboss - 18 Nov 2014 at 2:11pm
Equipment choices:

Playstation 3 SACD, Bitzie DAC, Meridian Explorer DAC, Lautus USB cable, HD250-II, HD650
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 11:58pm
Just read that today marked 40 years since the release of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.
It's a bit late in the evening now to start playing such a doubly long player so I guess I'll just have to give it a well-deserved spin tomorrow instead. And be impressed as always. Smile

Edited by suede - 19 Nov 2014 at 12:10am
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 9:15pm
Playing today: Over The Rainbow - a compilation of mainly quartet tracks from 1958 with clarinettist Pee Wee Russell; IMO a very underrated jazz player with a unique and adventurous (at times over-adventurous) improvisatory style. Mainly recorded with Eddie Condon's Chicago-Dixieland outfits, but outside that stranglehold Pee Wee was a modernist almost before his time. 

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 11:56pm
I don't think there are rules about repeat posts..

Grace Jones' Night Clubbing + Revelation + Lautus + Solo UL + Ath-900 + lights out + sprawled out on sofa == Heaven.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 8:05pm
Tom Waits - Alice. From 2002.
Rather moody music and somewhat vaudevillian in atmosphere, as is common with the theatrical Waits. Title song and first track:

Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 154155156157158 398>
  Share Topic