FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 398>
Author
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 11:32pm
Been spinning the black stuff tonight as I have finally made the move back into vinyl:-Sgt peppers
                 Rubycon Tangerine Dream
                 13       Emmylou Harris
and finishing with Aurora Jean Luc Ponty
not a bad evenings listening                  
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
16s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 9:49pm
Petula Clark-colour my world
Rich

Michell Gyrodec SE, Michell Tecnoarm, Ortofon 2M Black, Systemdek IIx 900, RB300, 2M Blue, Rega Fono mkII
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 12:55am
Kitano Silk Road (vinyl)
   Japans answer to Jean Michelle Jarre and if you like this type of music well worth checking out
STUART
GRAM AMP 2SE
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 10:28pm
Grace Jones has been Nightclubbing..

.. met Gregory Porter singing of Liquid Spirit.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 10:48pm
Beethoven Violin Concerto Berlin Philharmonic, Karajan, Anne Sophie Mutter,
I had forgotten just how good this is.Great music Great artists.
STUART
GRAM AMP 2SE
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 12:37am
Walton Symphony 1 Previn London Symphony Orchestra
Since resurrecting my record playing capabilities last week this is one of the records I was looking forward to re-visiting and what a record
an absolute tour de force well played well conducted and surely as good as anything that came out of Germany or Russia. Cowpat music this is not
STUART
GRAM AMP 2SE
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:46am
Originally posted by LOINER LOINER wrote:

Walton Symphony 1 Previn London Symphony Orchestra
Since resurrecting my record playing capabilities last week this is one of the records I was looking forward to re-visiting and what a record
an absolute tour de force well played well conducted and surely as good as anything that came out of Germany or Russia. Cowpat music this is not
+1 Clap

Folk round here may know that I'm obsessed with Walton 1  Embarrassed   . . . .  Previn's 1966 RCA is definitely the "goto" recording - so much better than his later Telarc recording with the RPO which is surprisingly subdued (though the sound is better on the Telarc). For a really good modern version look at Martyn Brabbins on Hyperion - this has almost all of the swagger, bounce and impetus of the early Previn with first class sonics . . .

A really interesting "second opinion" on Walton 1 comes from Bernard Haitink with the Philharmonia on EMI. The first movement is carved from granite before your eyes (ears?), the malice of a scherzo snarls away quite nicely, and the coronation march-like aspects of the finale are well presented. But the highlight, for me, is the melancholic slow movement which is slow to the point of stopping in many places but held together with such mastery that it brings the gloomy mood into sharp relief. A barn-storming performance (with excellent sound) but not one start with . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 398>
  Share Topic